New beginnings for Lancers baseball

John Skurski, Sports Reporter

With last year’s baseball season cancelled due to covid, the SJCA baseball team is looking to return to its winning ways like they had back in 2018 when they made the state tournament and were a game shy of winning their first state title since 2009. 

“I am confident in our team this year that these are the guys that will get the job done,” said assistant varsity baseball coach Gerry Woods.

Coach Woods is returning for his 6th season as a part of the Lancers’ squad and is confident that this team will turn the tide and add another year to that banner in the Madrigrano Gymnasium. 

Alongside the veteran Coach Woods, there is an unfamiliar face at the helm of the Lancers this year, head varsity Coach Ryne Gavinski. Gavinski previously coached 13 seasons at Racine Horlick. Gavinski has had some successful seasons and is looking to bring the Lancers back to its roots as a perennial powerhouse by adding some tough non-conference opponents in inner city division 1 schools such as Indian trail Academy, and Kenosha Bradford. 

To complement a good coaching staff, the Lancers received the last remaining strands of championship DNA from that state team in 2018, one of them being the core of the team, senior catcher Frankie McGuire. 

McGuire is a two-time honorable mention varsity catcher for the metro classic conference and wants to go out winning that state title he nearly missed out on as a freshman behind the dish. Three other seniors to complement McGuire from that state roster are senior infielders and pitchers Danny Santarelli, Peter Ruffolo, and senior outfielder Jack Davidson. 

The Lancers also have some newcomers that are looking to make a large impact on the lancers success this season in sophomore Luke Schuler (P) and sophomore Brady Davidson (infield)
“They work hard,” said senior infielder Max McCarville. “I know they will be another piece to the puzzle if we wanna win state, all hands on deck and I feel like these guys will help us reach our goal.” 

St. Joseph opens up it’s season April 27 at home against conference foe Martin Luther, who is predicted to be the Lancer’s greatest obstacle in the conference for a conference title.