Students on the job

Several students work the clock after hitting the books

Sam Paupore, reporter

As students begin to approach their high school years, the responsibility is put in their hands to pay for their own expenses, leaving some with only one option: a job. 

In high school many learn the importance of time management and accountability. With school work to juggle and extracurricular activities, it is hard to find time for a job but a certain few make the time and accept the responsibility. One of these certain few is no other than senior John Walls, an essential worker at Festival Foods who puts in hours when not at school or participating in cross country.

“Learning to manage my time while taking three AP classes and running Cross Country was tough, but I made it work. First, I had to cut down on my procrastination and get ahead of my work in school, taking every opportunity to get work done when I could. My advice is to not overschedule yourself with work. I made sure to work three days a week max in order to make time for other commitments,” said Walls. 

Although holding a job as a high schooler with exceedingly high expectations may seem a little far-fetched, considering the hard work that comes along with being a student, it builds “character” and teaches discipline as students work their way into the adult world. 

Despite managing schedules and finding time through other obligations, there are still more questions on the table for why students decide to work: What is it that drives these students to work? What kinds of things are they saving for or what are they spending the money that they have earned on? Is this money for college or is it for money to help the family? All of these questions offer different reasons why students apply for jobs.

Noah Davis, a junior, has a plan and a goal for how he intends to spend the money. “My goal right now with my money is to be able to afford a car for myself. This past year I have been working a number of jobs and it has all paid off. It’s not only the car that I want but also my education after high school,” said Davis. 

What students can take away from having a job outside of school is that it teaches many valuable life lessons that will set them up for success in the future. Holding a job as a full-time student shows that they are not only well-rounded but manageable with their time. A job may not be for all, but it shows great responsibility and motivation by those looking to better themselves for the endeavors they will experience from now to the time they graduate.