The Next Generation

JV team brings energy, plays tenacious defense

The Next Generation

Benjamin Butler, sports reporter

The St. Joseph Junior Varsity basketall team is unique for many reasons. The players stand out because of the impressive energy they bring to the game and they show a tremendous amount of determination.

The JV boys have a total of 14 players on the team: 8 freshmen, 2 sophomores,  4 juniors. The starting five consists of freshman Eric Kenesie, point guard; at shooting guard junior Ben Butler; at small forward, freshman Thomas Santarelli; power forward, Jamire Davis; and at center is junior Gio Bosco. Every time these five are on the court they cause havoc. The players that are not in the game and on the bench are focused and cheering on their teammates with reckless abandon. 

In practice, Ben Butler and Eric Kenesie warm the team up by stretching. Right after that, they get right into it with full-court layups; they are focused and locked in every drill the coach tells them to do. Their practices usually last two hours and are every day right after school. At the end of every practice, the team plays a scrimmage. Ben Butler and Eric Kenesie are captains because as the JV2 coach said, “every time I see these two on the same team it’s unfair and it’s like we already know who is going to win.”  Usually, the games are very close and come down to the last shot (so far the number of times they played is undetermined but I guess that the series is close because they are always quite competitive). 

Games are usually every Friday but because of the pandemic games have been canceled since opposing teams are in quarantine. The games are then rescheduled for Saturday resulting in back-to-back games. Butler loves the back-to-back games as “having back to back games is good because the feeling of waking up and knowing you have another game just makes me want to smile.”  

In sum, the JV basketball team has a lot of talent and a bright future. They still have a lot to work on but all of the bad cancels out with their tremendous defense and as coach noted “offense wins games but defense wins championships.”