Studio Art: A Masterclass to a Masterpiece

Wylie Knight, arts & entertainment editor

Creating art is truly a unique process for each artist. Although different, almost all follow a similar process of brainstorming, sketching, creation, and revision.

In classes like studio art, students are constantly working to create new and well-executed pieces but to also meet their deadlines. During these unprecedented times, there are added limitations and challenges that make the process even more dynamic.

It begins with brainstorming; many artists use external media to fuel their inspiration and creativity. Applications like Pinterest, YouTube, and oftentimes other’s insights are used to aid in their thought process. During COVID-19 with students being either virtual, quarantined, or in person, the community of artists at SJCA is separated. It’s harder to bounce ideas from one person to another through a screen or six feet apart. But the artists manage well. “It’s so great to have a creative outlet and it’s still my favorite class,” said Grace Prostko, a Studio Art 2 student.

Bringing these ideas together to create a rough sketch is one of the most challenging parts of bringing art to life. “Sketching is draining but so necessary,” said Sarah Ryan and many students find this to be true. Often artists think making the perfect sketch is harder than the final execution of the piece. A common misconception is that creative people don’t need to sketch and can just start painting. Most artists need many sketches to even start their extensive operation of creation.

Normally the lengthiest and most trying part of the process is the technical part, this can also be the most gratifying. Compiling all the ideas, references, and sketches with the artist’s talent, spirit, and skills is an amazing thing to watch. Nowadays, tools are distributed, brushes are kept, and germs aren’t shared which has been working out well. Students enjoy having a desk area and tools to themselves: “I love my desk because it’s organized perfectly,” said Hannah Altergott. Once the piece has been completed the artist tends to set it aside for a while.

Others may assume the artist is done, yet the process of actual completion is still far from reach. If the piece wasn’t completely re-done in the previous stage of creation, it will face a judge’s panel and be reassessed. Critiques are crucial, especially when it comes to technical elements like color, compositions, detail, and form.

After the personal and collaborative journey of design is completed, it is submitted for a grade. Although many think repeating this cycle 15 times is tedious work, these courageous art students at SJCA couldn’t love anything more, pandemic or not.