Reading is not a lost art at SJCA

Students share some of their favorite reads

The Diaries of a Wimpy Kid series written by Jeff Kinney are one of the many beloved books for all ages, including high schoolers.

Christopher Doan, Reporter

SJCA students challenge modern society’s drift in reading by delighting themselves in the centuries-old practice of being absorbed in their own cherished books and novels.

Students find themselves turning towards different forms of entertainment to pass the time, and books are one of their many popular choices. They find themselves reading books for a variety of reasons, such as for comedy, adventure, and for historical enlightenment. Students both young and old in SJCA find themselves returning to their favorite book in spite of the decreasing trend in reading. Through their comments on their favorite book, they demonstrate that books still live on regardless of the time.

Seniors Daniel San Nicolas and Robert Jenewein both express their affinity for the Diaries of a Wimpy Kid series by Jeff Kinney. San Nicolas said “although the book’s meant for a younger audience, it’s so nostalgic. It’s one of the greatest and most iconic books in my childhood that I have a fond memory of.” Jenewein reveals that his reason for liking the series is the “childish yet unique comedy” as well as the “simplistic and memorable cartoons that give the book life.”

Eighth grader Bryce Griffin has interest in Bang! By Sharon Flake. His interest in the book is established on his intrigue on the subject of social injustice. Griffin said “it’s actually a recent book I’ve been into lately. At some point, I felt sympathy for the main character and I couldn’t stop reading it.”

Junior Ben Butler reminisces on reading about the figure Martin Luther King Jr. and his life and historical impact through the book Martin Luther King Jr. A Life by Marshall Frady. “Martin Luther King Jr. changed America to become what it is today. The book showed me his life, his hardships, and his accomplishments. I really like this book because it helps to detail how a simple man ended up becoming a legend,” said Butler.

Senior Tyler Michel describes his fondness for J.K. Rowling’s Harry Potter books as well as the charm that the seven-book series gives him. “My most favorite book in the series was Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows because of its war-like atmosphere for much of the story as well as a crazy yet exhilarating conclusion to the series. I really liked reading the entire series in general because I loved reading how the protagonist goes from basically nothing to one of the most famous people in the world. These rags-to-riches type stories give you a thrilling plot to enjoy,” said Michel.

Senior Ben Pable cherishes the world created from Patrick Rothfuss’ The Name of the Wind in The Kingkiller Chronicle series. “I really love the fantasy aspect of the book, which gives a sense of adventure. The story as well as the world-building itself is really immersive and addicting, and it is definitely one of my all-time best books I have ever read.”