Surviving the Pandemic 2020

Maximilian McCarville, reporter

This fall semester of the 2020/2021 school year is definitely going to be a challenge. Since the city’s quarantine notice was lifted back in the summer, St. Joseph’s Catholic Academy has been developing new ways to keep students in school as well as keep them safe. From face masks to socially distanced classrooms, SJCA is taking all precautions to keep this school year alive. 

This year at SJCA every student, teacher and staff member is required to wear a mask when in the building.  So in correlation with this rule, many people have found fun and creative ways to decorate and design their masks. This truly brings hope and positivity to the situation at hand. But this inhibits the clearness of whomever is talking including teachers so students will have to start paying attention in class. As senior Coe Patrick said, “I think it’s good we are wearing masks, it helps make sure that all students are protected. Yes they can bother you sometimes but that’s just something you will have to deal with.”

Students are also required to socially distance in school. This means that you have to keep at least six feet between you and the people around you. What the school has done to ensure this is by creating a sort of highway within the halls where students have to keep to one side of the hallway depending on which way you are walking. Senior Patrick Leconte added, “I think that SJCA is doing the right thing by making sure everyone follows the social distancing guidelines, it makes sure everyone stays safe.”

They have also spaced out the desks within the classrooms to give students the space they need. In the cafeteria, students must adhere to a seating chart at all tables. Three students are allowed per table. And those three students must sit at that table the whole semester.

Now with these covid guidelines we must make sure that all students and staff members are following them to make sure school stays in session. As Junior Jacob Ashmus said, “Like the quote, ‘With great power comes great responsibility’ And I think this translates to school because we need to follow everything so we can stay in school this year.”

This year at SJCA many things have changed. Everything is different, but we need to make sure we follow the guidelines that were put in place by our government to ensure the safety and health of our students and staff. We also have to think to ourselves that yes things are a little annoying right now but in the long run everything will be back to normal.