Hoops Wrap Up

Todd Fedler

Joey Feudner, Sports News Editor

The St. Joseph Lancers Boys Basketball Team’s season came to close with an 86-67 loss to the Milwaukee Academy of Science. Senior Joey Feudner recorded 13 points, 7 assists, 5 rebounds and 3 steals in his last game as a Lancer. Sophomore star Andrew Alia poured in a team high 36 points and 7 rebounds to go along with the career high. 

The boys battled all throughout the first half but the MAS Novas pulled away in the second half. 

Overall, St. Joseph’s season can be viewed as a success. The Lancers had a shaky start to the season; winning one and losing six in 2019. However, in 2020, they improved with a 10-8 record, going over .500. Combined, the team improved their record from last year by nearly three games (8-16 to 11-14). The young, inexperienced Lancer squad was led by Feudner and Alia. 

Assistant Varsity Coach Gorawlski called sophomore Caden Tolefree the most improved player on the team. “Last year, you could tell he was a little timid, especially as a freshman starting on varsity. Caden hit the weight room a ton over the summer and worked on his game a lot; and it showed this season. He was a beast on the boards for us and that was huge in order for the team to be successful this season.”

Tolefree averaged only 3.5 rebounds per game in the first seven games of the 2019-20 season. During the second half of the season (the last 18 games), Tolefree flipped the switch and averaged over 8.5 rebounds per game; including ten games with double digit rebounds, six games with 12 or more rebounds, and even one 20 rebound game. Tolefree ended his sophomore season averaging a solid 6.2 points per game and 8.6 rebounds per game. 

The St. Joseph Boys Basketball Team has a bright future ahead of them. Four out of five of the starters will be returning next season (all will be juniors during the 2020-21 season). The Lancers will feature four returning juniors (soon to be seniors) next season, as well. 

The young squad has gained experience over the last couple of years and hopes to take that and use it to their advantage next season. The team is very disciplined and consists of many tenacious defenders to join their persistent scorers.

One of these scorers is Andrew Alia. As previously noted, he notched a career high 36 points in the final game of his sophomore season. Andrew averaged 19.8 points per game on 51% from the field, 45% from three, and 82% from the line. 

Alia has tallied 831 total points through his first two seasons at St. Joseph. The sophomore is only 169 points away from 1,000. Hitting this mark would put him in some good company. Other notable St. Joseph alumni to score over 1,000 points are Deandre Johns (1,836 points, most in school history) and Nick Van Exel (former 13 year NBA player). 

Going out with a bang, the two lone seniors on the roster, Patrick Connolly and Joey Feudner, will be missed dearly. Feudner, is a lethal shooter and is considered deadly from beyond the arc. Connolly is the funniest on the team and has hit the most three pointers in a game in St. Joseph history (11).