Matrise commits to Elmhurst

Four years of high school basketball is coming to a close for senior Katie Matrise. But she is not done just yet.

Ten years of basketball and she is not stopping an ytime soon as she plans to play at Elmhurst College, of Chicago, where she recently signed a letter of intent. College basketball has been a goal of Matrise’s after joining her travel team in 5th grade.

Matrise is very excited for her future, noting that “Elmhurst felt like home.” 

“I think college basketball will be very different, more challenging in a good way,” she added. 

Something else she is looking forward to in college basketball is the focus on personal fitness and health.

Matrise started playing at just 7-years-old in first grade after she picked up a ball while her mom was coaching. Her mom quickly noticed she had a natural talent and Matrise has proved this to be true. In 5th grade, her current travel coach scouted her at a game and asked her to join FP Elite in Chicago where she still plays today. 

Matrise has seen tremendous success throughout her high school career. In the 2018-2019 season, Matrise was the leading scorer, averaging 22.2 points per game. So far this season, Matrise is the leading scorer with 19.3 points per game. She made it a personal goal in 8th grade to hit 1,000 points by the end of her high school career. Matrise was inspired by another senior who hit 1,000 her senior year. Although she was determined to hit 1,000 points, she has the best interest of the team in mind.

“I am not focused on points, I am more focused on my team,” said Matrise.

Matrise is one of only 11 girls in Kenosha to have reached 1,000 points. She described the milestone as “surreal” before stating, “I had no words to describe how happy I was.”

As high school basketball comes to an end, Matrise will not be stepping down and will continue to be the tremendous and hard-working player she displays here at St. Joseph Catholic Academy.