A New Look for the Lady Lancers

Max Mccarvile, Writer

This season for girls basketball has been full of new beginnings as Coach Jason Coker has found some hidden gems. Jaden Hill, Deja Rivers, Paige Trachte, and Arianna Jenkins have come to  join forces with SJCA Lancer star seniors Katie Matrise and Liz Alia for the 2019-2020 season.

This season the Lady Lancers got off to a fast start, going undefeated throughout the first five games of the season, steamrolling any opponent that stood in their way. The team outscored their opponents in the first five games 444-208.

The Lancers hit a little bit of a rocky stretch with losses to Dominican High School and Kenosha Bradford High school. But they bounced back with a statement win over their former coach Lynell Collins and Kenosha Tremper High School. 

The Lady Lancers have been battling in the Metro Classic Conference to stay in the hunt, keeping close games with Racine Lutheran, St. Thomas Moore, and Martin Luther. As Katie Matrise goes on her senior campaign, she comes in averaging 19.3 points per game which is second behind Racine Lutheran’s Caroline Strande, who is committed to play at the University of Minnesota next year. 

The Lady Lancers are looking to bounce back from a loss to Dominican with a win against cross town rivals Shoreland Lutheran in a boys and girls double header at Shoreland, a tribute game to Shoreland’s Wrestling coach who has been battling a brain tumor for quite some time now. As the season is coming to an end, the Lady Lancers aim to make a push to the top of the conference, and a deep run in the playoffs and hopefully go back to the old saying from Scott Gordon, “The road to state”.

As Katie Matrise says “This season has been fun, hopefully we can end it with a state chip”.