Hoopsters look to turn corner in 2020

Christmas tournament beckons for boys

Joey Feudner, Sports News Editor

The St. Joseph Boys Basketball team expects to compete with teams night in and night out. Beginning their season on Nov. 26 a blowout win was the result against Kenosha Reuther; the final score, 69-24. After a rusty start, the Lancers came out roaring. They gave up only ten points in the second half while scoring thirty-four of their own. The new-look Lancers picked up their first of many wins this season. 

“I was proud of the way we finished the game,” assistant coach Gorawlski stated. “We started off pretty poor, but we got it rolling towards the end of the first half and to start the second half. Our leadership and bench were essential to getting the dub. The bench hype really got us going and pushed the players on the court.” 

A week and a half later, the boys began the first of their three game homestand, welcoming Wilmot to the Madrigrano Gymnasium. After 18 minutes of play, St. Joseph had dug themselves a 10 point hole. However, despite the score, the Lancers came out battling and competing, drawing back within two points with nine minutes to go. In the end, Wilmot pulled away and ended up handing St. Joseph their first loss of the season by a score of 82-69. 

In their most recent game, the Lancers hosted the number one ranked, Division 3 St. Catherine Angels. St. Joseph was disciplined and competed very well in the first ten minutes of the game; following their team expectations for the year. However, St. Cat’s began to pull away around the nine minute mark in the first half. The Lancers kept it close with a score of 12-15, but the Angels ended the half on an 18-3 run. St. Cat’s then began the second half outscoring the Lancers 15-2, continuing their run. St. Joseph received their second home loss of the season by a top ranked Division 3 team by a final score of 30-66.

The Lancers looked to bounce back from their two-game losing streak when they hosted Brookfield Academy — ranked fourth in Division 4. Sophomore, young buck Andrew Alia led both teams in scoring with 25 points along with 10 rebounds. Joey Feudner added 15 points and Caiden Leece chipped in 10. It was a tough matchup for St. Joseph, but it’s not anything they hadn’t already seen. The 1-3 Lancers look to rebound from a tough three game losing streak at the upcoming Christmas tournament that takes place at Carthage College over Christmas break from December 26-28.