Lady Lancers off to a hot start

Matrise scores 1000th career point

Senior+Katie+Matrise+on+one+of+her+patented+drives+to+the+basket.+

Senior Katie Matrise on one of her patented drives to the basket.

Tess Roberts, feature reporter

The Lady Lancer girls basketball team is off to a hot start this season with a 5-0 start and a 2-0 start in the Metro Classic Conference. The Lady Lancers are averaging 96.7 points per game, 21 three-pointers with a team-high of 110 points. They are also sharing the ball at 18.0 assists points per game, and swiping 18.7 steals per game. 

Head Coach Jason Coker said, “I am very happy with what we have accomplished so far. The girls work hard every day in practice and are continuing to get better. I am very proud of them and can’t wait for the rest of the season.”

Leading the Lancers in points is senior Katie Matrise with 29.3 points per game, followed by sophomore Deja Rivers with 14.5 points per game, and freshman Mikayla Blanc-Washington with 14 points per game. Leading in rebounds are sophomores Arianna Jenkins with 5 per game and Deja Rivers with 4 per game. Leading the Lancers with assists per game are sophomore Jayden Hill with 4.3 assists per game and freshman Makayla Blanc-Washington with 3 per game.  

The Lady Lancers’ first game was a 96-24 win over Heritage Christian. The girls had four players in double figures. Matrise led the team with 29 points, Blanc-Washington, and sophomore Paige Trachte each had 12 and Rivers added 10. They played their second game against Hope Christian and four players scored in double figures: Matrise with 32, Jenkins with 23, Rivers with 19 and Blanc-Washington with 14. Their third game and first conference game of the season was against St. Thomas More. Again, there were four players again in double figures: Hill with 16, Trachte with 10, Blanc-Washington with 16 and Matrise with 27.

After getting 27 points in the 84-57 win over St. Thomas More, Senior Katie Matrise was just 12 shy of hitting a thousand in her career.  

Tuesday night was a historic at St. Joseph as the Lady Lancers took on St. Cat’s and Katie Matrise eclipsed 1,000 points for her career. The Lancers took the 80-64 win over St. Cat’s to improve to 4-0 overall and 2-0 in the Metro Classic Conference. 

Senior Katie Matrise said, “It’s really surreal. It has been a dream of mine to hit 1,000 points. I am really glad I got to share it with my family, coaches, teammates, friends, and fans.” 

The Lancers added another win to there season with a non-conference 74-55 victory over the Central Falcons. Makayla Blanc-Washington led with 11 points, Arianna Jenkins added 10 points and Paige Trachte with 9.