The Student News Site of St. Joseph Catholic Academy (SJCA)
Back to Article
Back to Article

SJCA football powered by ‘sharks’ and ‘hogs’

Football team on cusp of playoff berth

Ranked eighth in the state, the undefeated Lancers’ football team was looking to pull out an underdog win against undefeated Racine Lutheran in the homecoming game. After a tough loss in the rain-delayed Homecoming washout, the Lancers bounced back the following week against Shoreland Lutheran.

Tied going in to the half, 7-7, the Lancers responded with 27 unanswered points, winning the Lighthouse Trophy for the fifth year in a row. Back in the top 10 in Division Six after their win against Shoreland, the Lancers are looking to knock out Martin Luther, currently ranked fourth in Division 4. (Story will be included in next issue.)

Prior to the Homecoming hiccup, the Lancers were on an amazing run with their most recent win over Dominican 35-14. The Lancers’ top running back, Jake Gessert, has had a great season thus far, racking up more than 800 rushing yards with 15 touchdowns while averaging 8 yards per carry.

“I’ve been working harder than ever; the coaching staff has really pushed me to be my best and the line is doing a great job at making holes for me,” said Gessert.

St. Joseph’s defense has held each team to an average of only 9 points with leading tacklers Anthony Scroggins (DE) and Kyle Matrise (DE) leading the way, combining for more than 40 tackles. With the loss of his dearly beloved father, Matrise has an extra incentive to play his best.

“It’s really hard this year. He’s always been there for me on the sidelines. He’s always been my coach, but more importantly my best friend,” said Matrise. Though a devastating blow for the Lancers, it brought everyone together in many ways. The St. Joe’s team is playing like a true family on the field. Everyone has each other’s back on and off the field.

This team has the potential to make a good run in the playoffs. A win in one of the next three games will ensure a post-season spot. 

The Challenger • Copyright 2019 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in